Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Roast Beef Sliders with Horseradish Butter





Perhaps it was because it fell on a Monday.  Maybe rough economic times made work more important than fun.  Or, maybe it was just one of those things.  Whatever the reason, for the first time in many years, I didn't play hostess on the Fourth of July.  Instead, we made plans to attend a celebration at our city park.  The advertisement featured bands playing beach music, fireworks, and plenty of green grass on which to picnic.

Though I love picnics, I hadn't planned one in a while, but it didn't take long for the foodie juices to start flowing.  My first thought was to keep it simple.  My second came in the form of a reminder that I would be sharing my blanket with three meat-eating men.  Once I decided on Roast Beef Sliders, potato salad seemed to be the obvious choice for a side dish.  I rounded out our picnic by adding a smoked trout spread at the beginning and tacking on an assortment of homemade cookies at the end.  The result was a trio of crumb-dusted smiles, enough to share with friends, and just enough cookies left over to dunk in a glass of milk for breakfast this morning.

What's In It:


1 lb. cajun roast beef, sliced for sandwiches (Of course, you could cook the roast yourself, and there's no  doubt it would be better.  In the interest of simplicity, I purchased roast beef from my grocer's deli section.  They carry Boar's Head.  It's the only brand I buy.)
20 large dinner rolls or slider buns, if you can find them
Arugula or parsley, with stems removed (Any kind of spicy green will do)
10 slices baby swiss cheese, halved
Horseradish butter:
  Bring 1 stick of butter(never margarine) to room temperature before beating it until fluffy.
  Stir in 3 tbs. prepared horseradish(from a jar) and 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper.

How To Make It:


Split rolls and spread with a generous amount of horseradish butter.  Fold 1 1/2 slices roast beef onto buttered roll and top with 1/2 slice cheese and arugula or parsley leaves.
Refrigerate (or keep in cooler) until time to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment