Monday, June 13, 2011

Captain Rodney's Cheese Bake





I haven't posted in a while.  Spring, for a southern girl, can be busy...

I planted a garden.  It took a few weeks to complete, and I'm sure I say this every year, but this is the most beautiful garden I've ever grown!  The plants are large, and lush, and full of fruit.  Already, I've harvested beans twice, and have enough jalapeno peppers to produce a peck of poppers.

Baseball kept me busy for a while.  Thankfully, preparation for high school football thwarted a season that could have gone on forever, and ever, and ever... Since it's end we've got our weekends back!

Last weekend was spent with family in celebration of my father's eightieth birthday.  My sister insisted I bring salads, and the strawberry salad was a hit.  But, being me, I had to bring something outside the box.

This recipe was suggested by a friend who had tried it at a party given by her friend.  It's one of those things.  First he told a friend, and she told two friends, and so on, and so on, and here I am posting it on my blog.

And here's why:

I've cooked for lots of parties.  I once catered a party of over one hundred people all by myself...and loved every minute!  Never, in all the years I've cooked party food, have I seen a dish disappear as quickly as this dish did last Saturday.  I literally set it down and twenty minutes later it was gone...gone as in someone had taken the time to scrape remnants from the side of the dish!

It's that good...

What's In It:


1/2 c. Duke's mayonnaise (Nothing else comes into this house.  I once bought three of the little squeeze jars because the big jars were gone and I wasn't buying another brand.)
1 8 oz. block cream cheese at room temperature (You can use lite if you like.)
2 c. grated sharp cheddar cheese
2 large or 4 small green onions, chopped
6 Ritz roasted vegetable crackers, crushed (You can use plain Ritz if that's all you've got.)
8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled (The friend who shared this recipe with me uses bacon bits.  I would never dare...and can not imagine.  Let's be real, shall we?)
1/2 c. Captain Rodney's Sweet and Spicy Glaze (Available at this website http://www.captainrodneys.com/ and, according to someone in the know, Whole Foods)

How To Make It:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spray 8x8 pan (or it's equivalent) with cooking spray.
Beat cream cheese with electric mixer until smooth.
Add mayonnaise, cheddar cheese, and onions.
Spread in prepared pan.
Top with crushed crackers.
Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
Just before serving top with bacon and Captain Rodney's Sweet and Spicy Pepper Glaze.

Serve with crackers...and get out of the way!

© Copyright 2009-2011 Stacye Carroll All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment