Friday, June 22, 2012

Sour Cream Streusel Pound Cake




I don't know about yours, but my guy likes nuts.  I know, I know...stating the obvious.  I mean, he's with me, right?  But that's not all!  Mix those nuts with a little brown sugar, and he'll follow you anywhere!  I guess you could call him my "Streusel Stud".
My son loves pound cake, and not just any pound cake.  He loves MY pound cake, and I only make one.  My go-to is always Sour Cream Pound Cake.  Several months ago, I purchased a bundt-shaped cake plate just for him.  I baked a pound cake and presented it to him, with the understanding that when he wants another, he'll bring his plate by and I will fill it.
So what pleases both palates?  A sour cream streusel pound cake, of course!  This cake is a real crowd pleaser.  Boasting 1/2 pound butter and a pound of sour cream, it's one of the moistest pound cakes I've ever baked.

What's In It:
For the Cake:
1 c. butter
2 c. granulated sugar
4 lg. eggs (Thank you Sylvia, Chloe, Pat, and Lucy!)
1 16 oz. container sour cream (Low fat is fine)
2 tsp. vanilla
4 c. all purpose, unbleached flour
2 tsp. baking soda
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt 

For the Streusel:
1/2 c. chopped pecans(walnuts are good, too)
1 tsp. cocoa
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/2 c. light brown sugar

How To Make It:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease and flour 10-inch tube pan or bundt pan.
Mix streusel ingredients in small bowl, stirring well.  Set aside.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
Sift dry ingredients together and add to butter/sugar mixture alternately with sour cream.  Mix well.
Add vanilla.  Mix well.
Pour 1/3 batter into prepared pan, spread and sprinkle with 1/2 streusel mixture.
Repeat, ending with final layer of batter.
Bake 1 hour.
Cool in pan several minutes before turning out onto cake dish.
May sprinkle with powdered sugar or drizzle with caramel glaze, as desired. (I serve this cake plain.  It's a good hand-to-mouth cake.)

No comments:

Post a Comment